Rules of Order
- The meeting will be run in accordance with the NSMBA By-laws, as set out in Schedule B of the Society Act of British Columbia, and, except as otherwise provided below, the 11th edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised.
- The bylaws of NSMBA (BC Societies Act Schedule B) provide that only “members in good standing” may vote at the AGM (s.21(1)). A member is in good standing if their current annual membership fee has been paid. (s.9)
- Time has been set aside for general questions and answers under New Business. Each member wishing to raise a new question under New Business will be entitled to speak for no longer than 3 minutes.
- Only members who are eligible vote may move a resolution
- A special resolution requires a 75% majority at the AGM to pass, 14 days’ notice of the resolution is required prior to the AGM.
- Comments or questions must relate to the pending report or motion.
Questions and answers under New Business:
- At the end of the meeting, time is set aside for questions from the floor. A member or attendee wishing to pose a question will wait to be acknowledged by the Chair, and state their name before asking the question. The Chair will direct the question to the appropriate Board director. Further follow-up questions may be permitted at the discretion of the Chair.
- The annual general meeting is for the purpose of transacting the business of the general membership of the NSMBA. Issues of a personal nature will not be debated, but will be referred to the Board, or the appropriate officer(s) or staff for consideration or action.
- Anyone speaking out of order may be asked to leave by the Chair.