Over the past two years, it has been an absolute pleasure working with the mountain bike community in my role as the Executive Director of the NSMBA. During this time we have seen incredible growth in our membership, community of riders and increase in trail work. As I extend into my new role as a mother I am excited for the opportunity for the NSMBA to have someone manage our community in a fresh way. Our team is strong, our employees set up, but we will need a leader/connector to keep our heads up, focused and effective in our community. For this reason, we are looking for the right person, not just someone to fill a position. Our intentions would be that this person would be a great addition to our team so much so that when ready to return to work that we could work in tandem to support the NSMBA’s goals of Trails for All, Trails Forever.
Christine Reid (email@example.com)
Executive Director - Maternity Leave - Job Posting
Job Title: NSMBA Executive Director
Closing Date: April 14 2019
Employment Status: 20-40 hours/weekly, up to one-year Maternity Leave contract
Pay Expectations: $27-$30/hour
Expected Start Date: May 1 2019
Expected End Date: Coverage of Maternity Leave
North Shore Mountain Biking Association
We are a volunteer-driven non-profit organization dedicated to caring for a sustainable trail network within the community.
Mission: Trails for all, trails forever!
The NSMBA Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the NSMBA organization according to the strategic direction set by the volunteer Board of Directors (the “Board”). The Executive Director will implement the vision and mandate of the NSMBA, will provide leadership in identifying priorities and objectives, direct staff and contractors, support committees and help to ensure the NSMBA’s financial and organizational viability. Developing strategy based on the NSMBA’s vision of “Trails for All, Trails Forever”, that brings value to our membership.
You are committed to guiding and inspiring mountain biking on the North Shore, by offering direction to staff, fellow mountain bikers, partners, and supporters; and to representing the mountain bike community to government, land management agencies, other trail user groups, and other concerned parties.
General Board Support:
- Operate as point of contact for the organization, answering and directing specific inquiries as required.
- Support the work of the Board by liaising with external organizations and following up with contacts as required.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the NSMBA using policies and procedures approved by the Board. This requires management of part- and/or full-time staff, in conjunction with the President.
- Actively participate in the development of the overall strategic direction of the NSMBA with the Board.
- Supports the Board with Land Manager relations and meetings.
- Facilitate effective Board meetings by ensuring the preparation of reports, meeting agendas, proposing topics for discussion/review, and determine/initiate follow up actions.
- Assist the Treasurer and President in ensuring that the finances are well managed, and take shared responsibility for setting and maintaining an annual budget. Assist the Treasurer with financial data entry when required; payroll, invoicing.
Grants & Fundraising
- Assist the Board of Directors in handling workflow and administrative processes surrounding future grant applications.
- Facilitate proposals, create documentation, ensures deadlines are met.
- Coach and mentor staff and contractors, as appropriate, to improve performance.
- Consults with the Board as needed regarding human resources plans and staffing activities.
- Oversee the administrative management of trail work, supporting the Director of Trails and President (VP in absence), coordinate work plans and builder’s hours management.
Social Media and Communication
- Lead and oversee all communications, marketing, and development strategy to be aligned with the NSMBA’s mission Trails for all, trails forever.
- Oversee social media content, management, and outreach (could use volunteers to assist)
- Oversee Membership Communication to provide a unified customer service focus (surveys, newsletter content, and along with management of website and trailforks) with the goal of membership retention and growth.
- Working with all staff, coordinate the delivery of the organization’s programs and events.
- Advise and support the Trail Adoption Program with the Program Coordinator.
- Provide project management/support to events, campaigns, and programs as directed by the Board.
- Create, update, and document process workflows for the significant recurring NSMBA events. Other duties & responsibilities as required.
- Support the NSMBA’s volunteer hour goals.
Education and Experience:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of working for a non-profit, volunteer lead society.
- General understanding of trail association operation is required.
- Practical trail building experience considered an asset, not a requirement. The position does not involve any paid trail building work.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- A persuasive and passionate communication style with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Self-directed, requiring minimal supervision.
- Strong problem solving skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to manage changing priorities.
- Experienced in organizational management, with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Experience in working with sponsors.
- Experience in reporting: grants, trail work reports.
- Proficient in Word, Excel & Power Point.
- Date entry and bookkeeping considered an asset
- Working knowledge of Google Docs and Drive is essential
Please note that the candidate must have the ability to work from an office space, as the NSMBA does not have an office.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm PST April 14 2019. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted via email and can plan to interview the last two weeks of April.